The Language Development Laboratory
The Language Developmant Laboratory (room 308Δ) aims to cover educational and research needs at undergaduate and postgraduate levels in the following areas:
- Second Language development and language processing (comprehension and production)
- Investigation of developmental stages, grammatical properties of first and second language, and variables which affect linguistic development
- First language acquisition in Greek by normally developing children and children with language problems
The Phonetics Laboratory
Research and teaching on the production, acoustics and perception of speech is carried out in the Phonetics Laboratory of the School (room 308Δ). The Lab is equipped with several state-of-the-art experimental systems, including the KAY CSL system for the acoustic analysis of speech and electropalatography for the investigation of lingual articulation. The lab is used for the teaching and practice of students attending undergraduate and postgraduate courses in phonetics, as well as for research on normal and pathological speech.
The Narrative Research Laboratory
The Laboratory of Narrative Research aims to study forms of narrative and technologies of narration in fields within the humanities, social and applied sciences. The Laboratory will focus its research and teaching activities in the following areas: theories and technologies of narration; forms and ideologies of narration; narrative and society; narrative and new technologies.
The Foreign Language Teaching Laboratory
The Lab was established in 2016 by the Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics of the School of English, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (FEK 1771/17-6-2016). The aim of the laboratory is to promote research in the fields of foreign language learning, teaching and assessment within the school context of preschool, primary and secondary education, thereby deepening the understanding of the linguistic and cognitive processes underlying foreign language learning. Our ultimate objective is to improve the status of foreign language education in Greece and to explore the possibility of research proposals aiming to contribute to the improvement of foreign language education in Greece at policy but also at teaching practice level.
The lab is specifically concerned with:
- the design of teaching and testing materials for children with typical language development
- as well as for children with specific learning difficulties (e.g. dyslexia)
- the creation of databases, such as Learner Corpora in preschool, primary, secondary and tertiary education
- the development of curricula and syllabi for EFL education
- the organization of teacher training seminars, workshops, and teacher education events
Fields of Research:
- Second or foreign language learning
- Educational Linguistics
- Second or foreign language formal and informal assessment
- Methodology of teaching a second or foreign language
- Bilingualism/multilingualism/immersion programmes
- Alternative approaches to foreign language education (e.g. CLIL)
- Learner and Pedagogic Corpora
- Development of educational materials
- Good practices for refugees and immigrants
The lab is affiliated with the 3rd Experimental Primary School of Evosmos, which is supervised by the School of English and has been the context of a large number of research projects by students and staff members of the School of English, other university departments in Greece and abroad
A further area in which the research of the laboratory is active is the development of teaching and testing techniques and materials for children with specific learning difficulties (e.g. dyslexia).