Electronic Translation Tools – Post-editing of Machine Translation
In our digital age, translators tend to work in paper-less environments, as a result they have to be in compatibility with the requirements (technical and language-expertise) of the market standards. Apart from CAT tools (Computer Assisted Translation), the translation tools include a wide range of resources and tools related to computer science which facilitate the procedures associated with translation: from terminology research and semi-automatic term extraction and the ontology principles to text alignment, bearing in mind the tools available for “project management in the translation process”. Topics covered:
- CAT tools, TRADOS software (translation memory system), SYSTRAN (machine translation system) and the suite UNITEX (open source software for the analysis of texts in natural language).
- Presentation of the markup languages HTML and XML;
- A step by step Guide to Translation Project Management: Analysis (both linguistic and technical) (documentation, software, multimedia etc.), ensuring necessary human and material resources, planning (project evaluation), groundwork (project glossary preparation, revision, quality evaluation etc.) and closing (delivery to the customer). Particular cases will be studied and we will be using “Project” tool which is available in Trados.
- Knowledge base structure and design. Formalization of linguistic and terminological data and creation of a knowledge base in Access and Multiterm;
- Presentation and consideration of terminology standards such as ISO12616, ISOTC37 and their corresponding models.
- Introduction to Ontology: Definition, construction and principles (Structure and relations among classes in ontologies)
- State of the art: term extraction and terminology tools (linguistic, statistic hybrid)
- Post editing
Our goal is to explore new technologies in terminology, in translation and in natural language in order to facilitate students’ access to this professional environment, as well as their preparation for the evolution of the 21st century thanks to the technological advances of artificial intelligence.
- They will improve their new technologies skills.
- They will be prepared for working in agencies and companies.
- They will be able to manage translation projects.
- They will be able to use text alignments tools.
- They will be capable of choosing the adequate technology and using effectively the translation tools.
- They will learn the basics of the markup languages HTML and XML.
Continuous assessment and final exam (40% weekly tasks and quizzes, 20% midterm, 40% final exam).