Quality Assurance Policy
The postgraduate program “Theoretical and Applied Linguistics” is aligned with the Quality Policy of the Ιnstitution and implements the Ιnstitution’s strategy for high-quality postgraduate programs that meet the academic and professional requirements on the educational, research and administrative level. In particular, the quality policy of the School of English includes the main objectives of the Quality Policy of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, especially the objectives for:
- Continuous improvement of the quality of education and research
- Continuous improvement of the quality of processes and services provided
- Transparency at all levels, and
- Promotion of the work that is being done at AUTH to society, the state, and the international scientific community
The School of English of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH) has a clear and documented Quality Policy (approved by ST 486/21-12-2023), which complies with the legal framework and is aligned with the quality policy of AUTH. The text of the quality policy of the School of English, which is formulated in the form of a statement, is posted on the website of the School of English (in Greek and in English) and is highlighted at the beginning of the academic year at the reception ceremony for new students and also at the beginning of the courses of the postgraduate programs.
The School of English implements the specifications and regulations imposed by the current regulatory framework and any guidelines of AUTH, including all obligations arising or determined by the accreditation bodies and the state, while at the same time it has and operates an internal quality assurance system, which is described in its internal regulations. Within this framework, the postgraduate program focuses on three main objectives: academic excellence, efficiency of the educational process and continuous improvement of the infrastructure of the postgraduate program.
The Program meets high quality standards in teaching, research and evaluation, and maintains clear and measurable learning outcomes in accordance with the European and National Qualifications Framework at level 7. To achieve the learning outcomes, the teaching staff of the Program is highly specialized and has the necessary qualifications to provide in-depth knowledge and to employ innovative methods for high-quality education and guidance to the students of the Program. Moreover, using a variety of evaluation methods, such as examinations, oral presentations, research papers, the continuous monitoring of the educational progress and development of the students is achieved.
Finally, the postgraduate program has modern infrastructure in fully equipped classrooms and in research laboratories, as well as access to a wide range of academic resources, including online databases, electronic journals and books.
The objectives of the quality policy of the postgraduate program have been developed after a thorough discussion within the framework of the OMEA, which, at the end of each cycle, reviews the results and assesses the quality performance of the Program. If deficiencies or problems are identified, it proceeds to discuss with the members of the Coordinating Committee (CC) of postgraduate studies proposals on reforming the actions of the Program in order to improve the achievement of quality goals. For this purpose, the CC may proceed to reallocate the resources of the Program to facilitate the achievement of these goals (e.g, teacher training, updating of educational material, improvement of study infrastructure, etc.).
In addition, through the cooperation of the OMEA with the MODIP of the Institution, an internal evaluation is conducted for the quality assurance and compliance of the postgraduate program’s goals on an annual basis.
Implementation of the Quality Policy
The School of English implements the specifications and regulations imposed by the current regulatory framework and the guidelines of AUTH, including all obligations arising or determined by the accreditation bodies and the state, while at the same time it has and operates an internal quality assurance system. The School of English is committed to implementing the Quality Policy, in order to ensure:
- Clear and transparent selection procedures for candidates
- High scientific training of teaching staff
- Explicit learning outcomes in accordance with the European and the National Qualifications Framework for Higher Education at level 7
- The alignment of teaching and research with the needs of the labor market with a view to the skills, abilities, knowledge, and attitudes required
- Continuous improvement of the quality of structures and support services in order to make the postgraduate program more effective (Research Laboratories, Library, Resource Center, Secretariat, Office of Studies, student care services)
- Modern infrastructure, such as renovated classrooms with computers, as well as access to a wide range of academic resources, including online databases, electronic journals and books
- Promotion of the research work that is being done in the School of English under the postgraduate program in the international scientific community, but also in society
The School of English follows the following good practices in the implementation of the Quality Policy:
- Conducting an annual internal evaluation and review of the quality assurance system for postgraduate programs in collaboration with the OMEA and the of the MODIP of the Institution
- Cooperation between the School’s bodies and committees for decision-making (Administrative Council, Departments, Postgraduate Studies Coordinating Committee, OMEA, Strategic Planning and Research Policy Committee, School of English Assembly)
- Compatibility with the latest academic and research requirements, as well as the requirements of the market
- Strengthening of infrastructure with the operation of laboratories and the purchase of equipment and educational materials for more systematic research and study of cutting-edge knowledge objects
- Interaction with education providers with the aim of outward orientation and the acquisition of additional skills
- Participation in European and international exchange programs for teaching staff and postgraduate students of the postgraduate program
- Provision of the necessary resources:
- For the invitation of scholars of international reputation for lectures and seminars for the students of the postgraduate program
- For the organization of conferences and the publication of textbooks with the aim of encouraging the academic, research and writing development of the teaching staff and students
- For the mobility of the teaching staff for bibliographic research with the aim of updating the courses based on scientific developments
- For the mobility and participation of the teaching staff and the students of the postgraduate program in conferences abroad with the aim of internationalizing the research work
- Evaluation of the courses and teaching staff of the postgraduate program with the aim of feedback and evaluation and highlighting the qualitative characteristics of the Program
- Communication and cooperation with graduates of the program for the understanding of professional needs and changes with the aim of responding to them
- The quality goals of the School
- of English for the Postgraduate Program “Theoretical and Applied Linguistics” are as follows:
- Improvement of the educational process
- Highly trained teaching staff
- Development of high-level research
- Upgrading of technological and research equipment
The School of English has a clear strategy for disseminating its educational and research activities. This includes publishing announcements, sending email updates, and posting information on its website.